20 February 2007

Nicotine rolls

The other day I ended up hanging out with this small group of people where each of them was, um, generally out of place -- she's a neutoric control freak while she's like a the sanest person in a mental institution. They're like inseparable and yeah, there were only the three of us that night, but I didn't mind. Better than hanging out with a dismal "friend" who has nothing better to do than rant about her umpteenth break-up on a Saturday night while you wish a meteorite would end everybody's suffering. So I went with the two ladies. At first I hesitated with the idea but, like what one of my co-editor's principles says, it's always good to try something new.

And good it was.

I've only known them for less than a year -- a fairly sane friend introduced them to me some time in August. Several weeks and some scientific magic later, I began hanging out with them -- in groups, of course, as I'm already crazy as it is so I've never chosen to hang out with just the two of them. I was a virgin until last Saturday, so to speak.

As we sat there with our half-empty coffee cups and their nicotine rolls, naturally, we talked. About Lots Of Things. It seemed the night and their cigar packs were not enough for everything. But more than that, I was surprised to discover that they're not so, um, out of place, after all. They were people too -- not as normal as basic anatomy would dictate -- but more or less, human like the rest of us.

They simply didn't have friends. Or a nice, adequate set of them, at least.

While Weng, the smoker, T.A.L.K.E.D., I noticed something new with her. She was excited. Thrilled. Like she came back from a non-Earth dimension and was itching to tell someone all about it. Steph, the heavier smoker who love the term "nicotine rolls", on the other hand was just as jolly that night. As that famous line goes: I've never seen them like that before. For the first time, they were having fun -- at the company of somebody other than each other.

I'm no angel or hero. Heck, I'd sneak out on them had I had a freakoverload. More like, it was a BIT overwhelming to finally see the real people behind the strange, introvert attitudes. For what it's worth, I felt happy for them that night... because I knew they were.
QWERTY-ed by Paoper at 10:55 |  
in: ,

0 said something:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)