27 January 2008

Spare!

Spare (bowling): All pins down with two balls; To knock down with the second throw the pins left standing after the first throw; Knocking down all remaining pins in the second ball or delivery.


They always say there are two sides to a story. If I don't know any better, in your greatest story--your life--those two sides are called "good" and "bad." If you're Ricky Reyes, it's "taray" and "lost." If you're a dumb jock, "cool" and... "not cool." To stupid colegialas, that's "OMG!" and "Oh. My. God.," depending on what coffee shop or mall restroom you catch them say it. For the sake of sanity, let's just stick to the first one.

Good and bad. I've had my fair share of both. More often than not, it's other people who categorize it for me: Either they dump me for being "bad," or suck up to me for being "good." But when I'm lucky, I get to use a weighing scale and assess my life ratings myself... Never a fun job.

"Good" and "bad." You know you've had your shares yourselves, with one almost always overpowering the other. But that's okay. Getting over taxes is already exhausting; striving for the proverbial balance between yin and yang could be fatal. On the other hand, it was never wrong to try and make amends for mistakes no matter how far they date back in your history.

Some of us had lived every moment for personal glory, and in pursuit of more we began neglecting all the other opportunities to do... "good." I remember times when I wasted my capabilities and missed scoring those pluses. I screwed up big time, sometimes hurting others and even losing people... and I could only look back in regret. The only valid excuse I'll ever have, I guess, is that I was too young to be a hero, a Samaritan or both.

Everybody misses out on chances to be "good"-- at times unconsciously, at times deliberately. Like... bowling. Even if you rolled the ball once with inhuman strength and killer precision, there's always the chance that at least one pin will remain standing to laugh back at you. You get disappointed, pissed or frustrated, but hey, at least you get one more chance to spare and squiggle a few points to your box. And that's just a game.

I sin. We sin. We... miss. The best news is, while we only get two balls in bowling, we have more chances in life to try and spare. It may not entirely cancel the minuses of your past, but at least you can truly feel... happy... about something for once and, together with your conscience, be able look at your detractors straight in the eye--smiling or grinning, your choice. You can do it for yourself and for others. And really, the immediate rewards are the best ones....

Like the smiles of children currently fighting unfair battles...


The sudden but very welcome excitement in a room that's otherwise fearful and gloomy...


Sighs of relief from those who thought they'd been abandoned...


Feeling again the warmth from the people you missed and those you care about, after time played its part, plus very surprising calls from those whom you never expected would... Not to mention, the welcoming touch of new hands-to-hold on the sides...


And finally realizing that you are capable of something worthwhile... for you and for others. (Thanks to Celeste Ubana and the Friday Club for the photos.)

For Edict, who's being missed...
Except when it rains.
QWERTY-ed by Paoper at 14:01 |  
in: , ,

2 said something:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)